IEC 60068-2-14 Change of Temperature Testing
IEC 60068-2-14 testing, also called the change of temperature test, is intended to determine the ability of components, equipment and other items to withstand a change of temperature or a succession of changes of temperature. The IEC60068-2-14 test is not intended to show effects which are due only to high or low temperatures. Testing to those conditions is specified in the following related standards:
- IEC 60068-2-1, Environmental testing – Part 2-1: Tests – Test A: Cold
- IEC 60068-2-2, Environmental testing – Part 2-2: Tests – Test B: Dry heat
- IEC 60068-2-17, Environmental testing – Part 2-17: Tests – Test Q: Sealing
IEC60068-2-14 testing is important because of how often rapid changes in temperature can occur. Events such as equipment being transported from warm indoor environments into cold open air conditions or vice versa, equipment being suddenly cooled by rainfall or immersion in cold water, equipment being externally mounted airborne and under certain conditions of transportation and storage. Components will undergo stresses due to changing temperature when high temperature gradients build up in an equipment after being switched on, e.g. in the neighborhood of high wattage resistors, radiation can cause rise of surface temperature in neighboring components while other portions are still cool.
IEC-60068-2-14 specifies a number of effects from the testing including but not limited to:
- Values of high and low conditioning temperature between which the change is to be effected.
- The conditioning times for which the test specimen is kept at these temperatures.
- The rate of change between these temperatures.
- The number of cycles of conditioning.
- The amount of heat transfer into or from the specimen.
With this significant amount of detail needing to be analyzed, selecting the right test lab to complete your IEC 60068-2-14 temperature testing is critical. Keystone Compliance has developed an expertise in not just temperature testing, but assisting manufacturers meet the temperature testing requirements. Our expertise identifies the source of the problem and provides troubleshooting assistance to overcome any challenges. With numerous test chambers and dedicated report writers, we offer short lead times on scheduling a quick turnaround on reports.
Please contact us to receive a quote for your IEC 60068-2-14 temperature testing to learn why so many manufacturers partner with Keystone Compliance to meet their regulatory compliance test needs.