Package Integrity and Temperature Validation Testing
Package testing is a comprehensive process that simulates the real world of the supply chain by emulating various activities in a lab environment. The goals of package testing are to reduce damage and warranty claims, achieve certification standards of some vendors and reduce shipping costs through lighter and smaller packaging. The predominant governing body in the writing of package testing standards is the International Safe Transit Association or ISTA.
As an ISTA-certified package testing lab, Keystone Compliance thoroughly understands the requirements. We provide our customers with the benefit of our test reports being recognized around the world. Keystone is also accredited to ISO-17025, including many ASTM standards. The company was named to the Amazon Packaging Support and Supplier Network (APASS network) as one of the few Amazon-approved labs in the country.
Summary of Package Integrity Testing
Package testing can also be known as Package Integrity Testing, Transportation Testing, Shipping Testing, or Distribution Testing.
The bulk of package testing involves simulating real-world conditions that a package might experience during its journey through the supply chain. Depending on the product and industry, the touch points can often reach double digits and also involve some extreme conditions.
Packages must successfully navigate conditions such as extreme temperatures, temperature variations, compression, vibration, impact, shock, drop, reduced pressure, and altitude. The packaging must not only withstand these events, it must do so while maintaining the integrity and performance of the product it houses.
Most package testing standards simulate a chain of events with strict requirements. In addition to providing testing to specific standards, Keystone can also provide custom simulated shipping environments as well as tests to failure to determine the useful life of materials and package designs. These test cycles can assist with determining warranty periods, warning stickers and user instructions.
E-Commerce has dramatically added complexity to package testing. While most retailers require compliance to existing ISTA or ASTM standards, some retailers such as Amazon and Sam’s Club have created their own requirements. Amazon has multiple levels of product certification that are based on the amount of prep Amazon must provide, the material composition of the packaging, and the amount of time necessary to remove a product from its packaging.
As an approved package testing lab for Amazon, Keystone can assist companies work through the Amazon packaging validation process. We have an entire website dedicated to our Amazon package testing: www.apasslab.com.
Keystone Provides Expert Package Regulatory Compliance
What makes Keystone Compliance different in the package testing world? As an ISTA, Amazon, and ASTM -certified package testing lab and shipping test lab, Keystone Compliance can meet your package test needs. Additionally, Keystone provides constant communication and professional engineering consultation throughout the entire test program. Our pricing is competitive and we offer volume discounts. Receiving a quote to complete packaging testing is as easy as completing our online quote form or calling us at 724 657 9940.
We have created sites that focus on our package testing capabilities. To learn more about our Amazon package testing please visit www.apasslab.com. For all other package testing inquiries, please visit www.keystonepackage.com.
Request a quote to see why so many companies partner with Keystone to meet their package testing needs.
Our scope of capabilities include but are not limited to the following standards:
- ISTA 1A
- ISTA 1B
- ISTA 1C
- ISTA 1D
- ISTA 1E
- ISTA 1G
- ISTA 1H
- ISTA 2A
- ISTA 2B
- ISTA 2C
- ISTA 3A
- ISTA 3B
- ISTA 3E
- ISTA 3F
- ISTA 3K
- ISTA 4AB
- ISTA 7D
- ISTA 7E
- ISTA Retesting
- Amazon Package Testing
- ISTA Amazon SIOC Overview
- ISTA 6-Amazon SIOC Type A
- ISTA 6-Amazon SIOC Type B
- ISTA 6-Amazon SIOC Type C
- ISTA 6-Amazon SIOC Type D
- ISTA 6-Amazon SIOC Type E
- ISTA 6-Amazon SIOC Type F
- ISTA 6-Amazon SIOC Type G
- ISTA 6-Amazon SIOC Type H
- ISTA 6-Amazon-OB
- ISTA 6-SAMSCLUB
- TJX Package Testing
Other Package Testing Standards
- Costco Package Testing
- Home Depot Package Testing
- HSN Package Testing
- QVC Package Testing
- Wayfair Package Testing
- GM 1738G Intercontinental Supply Chain Package Requirements for Production Parts
- ISTA 6 FedEx A Package Testing
- ISTA 6 FedEx B Package Testing
- ISO 11607: Package Validation
- NFS/ANSI 456 Vaccine Storage Testing
- ASTM D642: Compressive Resistance Package Testing
- ASTM D999-08: Vibration Testing of Shipping Containers
- ASTM D3078: Bubble Emission Package Testing
- ASTM D3103: Thermal Insulation Package Testing
- ASTM D4169: Performance Testing of Shipping Containers and Systems
- ASTM D4332: Conditioning Containers, Packages, or Packaging Components for Testing:
- ASTM D5276: Drop Testing of Loaded Containers by Free Fall
- ASTM D5487: Simulated Drop of Loaded Containers by Shock Machines
- ASTM D6055: Mechanical Handling of Unitized Loads and Large Shipping Cases and Crates
- ASTM D6179: Rough Handling of Unitized Loads and Large Shipping Cases and Crates
- ASTM D6344: Concentrated Impacts to Transport Packages
- ASTM D6537: Instrumented Package Shock Testing for Determination of Package Performance
- ASTM D6653: Determining the Effects of High Altitude on Packaging Systems by Vacuum Method
- ASTM D7386: Performance Testing of Packages for Single Parcel Delivery Systems
- ASTM F88: Seal Strength Package Testing
- ASTM F1140: Burst and Creep Testing
- ASTM F1886 Seal Integrity Package Testing
- ASTM F1929: Dye Penetration Package Testing
- ASTM F1980: Accelerated Aging of Sterile Barrier Systems for Medical Devices
- ASTM F2054: Burst Testing of Flexible Package Seals Using Internal Air Pressurization Within Restraining Plates
- ASTM F2096: Detecting Gross Leaks in Packaging by Internal Pressurization (Bubble Testing)
- ASTM F3039: Leak and Dye Penetration Testing
- and more!