|Icing & Freezing Rain|
|Wind & Rain|
Salt Fog Testing Capabilities at Keystone Compliance
Keystone Compliance has a salt fog chamber that is one of the largest salt fog chambers manufactured and has an inside dimension of 8’ x 4’ x 4’. However, we have created custom oversized chambers to accommodate much larger devices including cars, drones and large pieces of machinery. If you have a large unit, we can likely find a way to test it. The chamber is capable of salt fog testing, salt mist testing, salt spray testing and salt laden testing as described in most popular test specifications.
Salt-Fog Test Equipment at Keystone Compliance
Keystone Compliance has one large salt-spray test chamber measuring 8’ x 4’ x 4’.
Salt-Fog Testing Overview
Salt-fog testing, per MIL-STD 810 Method 509.4, determines the corrosion resistance of materials and impact of introducing a humid, salty solution on electrical components. Typical problems brought about by salt spray are:
- Corrosion due to electrochemical reaction.
- Accelerated stress corrosion.
- Formation of acidic/alkaline solutions following salt ionization in water.
- Impairment of electrical materiel due to salt deposits.
- Production of conductive coatings.
- Corrosion of insulating materials and metals.
- Clogging or binding of moving parts of mechanical components and assemblies.
- Blistering of paint as a result of electrolysis.
The most common coatings tested are steel, brass and zamak. The salt-fog test essentially tests corrosion resistance through an accelerated process within a salt-fog chamber. The chamber controls the amount of salt-fog, concentration of salt and pH. Different coatings have different behaviors and require different types of testing with varying durations.
Keystone Compliance is a salt-fog test lab with a large chamber and significant experience. Contact us to determine how we can help you meet your salt-fog testing requirements.
Salt Fog Testing Specifications
- ASTM G85 – 09 Standard Practice for Modified Salt Spray Testing
- Annex A1, acetic acid-salt spray test, continuous
- Annex A2, cyclic acidified salt-spray test
- Annex A3, seawater acidified test, cyclic (SWAAT)
- Annex A4, SO2 salt spray test, cyclic
- Annex A5, dilute electrolyte cyclic fog dry test
- ASTM B117 – 09 Standard Practice for Operating Salt Spray (Fog) Apparatus
- EN 50155 Section 10.2.10 Salt-Fog Test
- ISO 9227:2006 Corrosion tests in artificial atmospheres — Salt spray test
- ISO 12944-6:1998 Paints and varnishes — Corrosion protection of steel structures by protective paint systems — Part 6: Laboratory performance test methods
- MIL-STD-202 Method 101 Salt-Fog Test
- MIL-STD-810 Method 509.4 Salt-Fog Testing
- MIL-STD-883 Method 1009 Salt Fog Test
- MIL-STD-1344 Section 1001 Salt Fog Testing
- RTCA/DO 160 Section 14 Salt-Fog Test