Salt Fog Testing Capabilities at Keystone Compliance
Keystone Compliance has a salt fog chamber that is one of the largest salt fog chambers manufactured and has an internal dimension of 8’ x 4’ x 4’. The chamber is capable of salt fog testing, salt mist testing, salt spray testing and salt laden testing as described in most popular test specifications. However, we have created custom oversized chambers to accommodate much larger devices including cars, drones and large pieces of machinery. If you have a large unit that is not suited to traditional chambers, we will work with you to find a solution that will get the job done.
Salt-Fog Testing Overview
Salt-fog testing, per MIL-STD 810 Method 509.4, determines the corrosion resistance of materials and impact of introducing a humid, salty solution on electrical components. Typical problems brought about by salt spray are:
- Corrosion due to electrochemical reaction.
- Accelerated stress corrosion.
- Formation of acidic/alkaline solutions following salt ionization in water.
- Impairment of electrical materiel due to salt deposits.
- Production of conductive coatings.
- Corrosion of insulating materials and metals.
- Clogging or binding of moving parts of mechanical components and assemblies.
- Blistering of paint as a result of electrolysis.
The most common coatings tested are steel, brass and zamak. The salt-fog test essentially tests corrosion resistance through an accelerated process within a salt-fog chamber. The chamber controls the amount of salt-fog, concentration of salt and pH. Different coatings have different behaviors and require different types of testing with varying durations.
Salt fog testing is just one of the climatics testing services we offer and our lab is fully equipped with the necessary equipment. Keystone Compliance is a salt-fog test lab with a large chamber and significant experience. Contact us to find out how we can help you meet your salt-fog testing needs.
Salt Fog Testing Specifications
- ASTM G85 – 09 Standard Practice for Modified Salt Spray Testing
- ASTM B117 – 09 Standard Practice for Operating Salt Spray (Fog) Apparatus
- EN 50155 Section 10.2.10 Salt-Fog Test
- ISO 9227:2006 Corrosion tests in artificial atmospheres — Salt spray test
- ISO 12944-6:1998 Paints and varnishes — Corrosion protection of steel structures by protective paint systems — Part 6: Laboratory performance test methods
- MIL-STD-202 Method 101 Salt-Fog Test
- MIL-STD-810F Method 509.4 Salt-Fog Testing
- MIL-STD-883 Method 1009 Salt Fog Test
- MIL-STD-1344 Section 1001 Salt Fog Testing
- RTCA/DO 160 Section 14 Salt-Fog Test