Wind and Rain Testing
Wind and Rain Test Capabilities at Keystone Compliance
Keystone Compliance operates wind and rain generators that are capable of producing wind speeds up to 150 mph and rainfall rates from 0 – 8 inches/hour. Automated turn tables are often utilized to ease testing of large products. Multiple generators can be setup to provide a large coverage area. Custom setups are a specialty for Keystone Compliance personnel when setting up a wind driven rain test.
Wind Driven Rain Test Equipment at Keystone Compliance
Wind and rain test systems are customized and calibrated prior to use and setup to assure an accurate test with reproducible results.
Wind and Rain Testing Overview
Wind and rain testing, blowing rain testing and wind driven rain testing, per MIL-STD 810 Method 506.4, helps determine the following:
- effectiveness of protective covers, cases, and seals in preventing the penetration of water into the materiel.
- capability of the materiel to satisfy its performance requirements during and after exposure to water.
- physical deterioration of the materiel caused by the rain.
- effectiveness of any water removal system.
- effectiveness of protection offered to a packaged materiel.
Wind and rain can impact equipment in a number of different ways. Below is a brief summary of various examples:
In the Atmosphere:
- Interference with or degradation of radio communication
- Limited radar effectiveness.
- Limited aircraft operations due to restricted visibility and decreased lift from wing surfaces (excessive rain rates only).
- Damage to aircraft in flight.
- Affect on artillery and missile launching.
- Degradation or negation of optical surveillance.
- Decreased effectiveness of personnel in exposed activities.
- Premature functioning of some fuses.
- Inhibited visibility through optical devices.
- On impact it erodes surfaces.
After deposition and/or penetration:
- Degraded strength/swelling of some materials.
- Increased corrosion potential, erosion, or even fungal growth.
- Increased weight.
- Electrical or electronic apparatus become inoperative or unsafe.
- Malfunction of electrical materiel.
- Freezing inside materiel that may cause delayed deterioration and malfunction by swelling or cracking of parts.
- Modified thermal exchange.
- Slower burning of propellants.
Wind and rain testing is just one of the climatics testing services we offer and our lab is fully equipped with the necessary equipment. Keystone Compliance is a wind and rain test lab. Contact us to determine how we can help you meet your wind-driven rain testing requirements.