ANSI C136.31 Roadway and Area Lighting Equipment – Luminaire Vibration
ANSI C136.31 Luminaire vibration is the standard that covers the minimum vibration withstand capability and vibration test methods for roadway luminaires and area luminaires. As a certified environmental lab, we realize the importance of roadway and area lighting equipment compliance testing. Meeting the environmental ANSI C136.31 requirements can be difficult. We understand the challenges and guide companies through the process.
Keystone Compliance has a reputation for helping customers achieve their environmental product certifications. Our pricing is competitive and we offer volume discounts. Additionally, Keystone creates an accurate test plan to eliminate expensive over-testing. When products do not meet the requirements, we assist with finding solutions. Our proven process helps avoid product launch delays.
Request a quote and find out first hand about our competitive pricing, timely process, and outstanding reputation. Have a question about ANSI C136 roadway and area lighting compliance testing? Contact us or call (724) 657-9940 and we will determine the best course of action.
Summary of ANSI C136.31 Luminaire Compliance Testing
ANSI C136.31 testing specifies a luminaire as a complete lighting unit consisting of a lamp or lamps, or solid-state light source, together with the parts designed to distribute the light, to position and protect the lamp(s), and connect the lamp(s) to the power supply.
The types of vibration are limited to externally induced vibration including wind-induced vibration and traffic-induced vibration. ANSI-C136.31 does not address natural or catastrophic disasters.
The specific ANSI C136.31 roadway light test plan depends on the application of the luminaire. If the luminaire is to be placed on a bridge or overpass, the luminaire system is to be tested at 3.0 G. All other applications of luminaire systems shall be tested at 1.5 G. The luminaire shall be vibrated at or near the fundamental resonant frequency. This frequency shall be determined for each of the three mutually perpendicular planes (x, y, and z) and should be between 2 and 30 hertz.
During the vibration test, the frequency and displacement should be monitored. A major change in frequency or displacement is an indication of structural failure. ANSI-C136.31 tests require that the luminaire shall be capable of withstanding the described vibration for 100,000 cycles in each plane. A separate sample luminaire may be used for each plane to eliminate the effect of conjunctive material fatigue.
Expert ANSI C136.31 Shock Testing
With multiple shakers and significant experience in vibration testing, Keystone Compliance has developed an expertise in luminaire vibration testing to ANSI C136.31. Our engineers not only properly test the devices, but they also provide detailed feedback and troubleshooting if issues arise.
In addition to providing expert luminaire vibration testing, our EMC lab provides all of the necessary electromagnetic compatibility testing on luminaires as well. Keystone Compliance is a full-service lab capable of providing all of the regulatory compliance testing needs that luminaire and lighting manufacturers require.
Please contact us to receive a quote for ANSI C136.31 luminaire vibration testing.
For more information on mechanical shock testing, please follow the following:
- EIA 364-27 Mechanical Shock, Specified Pulse, Testing of Electrical Connectors and Sockets
- EN 61373 Shock of Railway Equipment
- IEC 60068-2-27 Shock Testing
- IEC 60068-2-31 Rough Handling Shock Testing
- MIL-STD 810 Shock Testing
- MIL-STD-883 Testing Method 2002 Mechanical Shock Testing
- RTCA DO-160 Section 7.0 Operational Shocks and Crash Safety
For more information on vibration testing, please visit the following:
- ASTM D999 Vibration Testing of Shipping Containers
- ASTM D5112 Horizontal Linear Motion Vibration Testing
- Boeing D6-81926 Equipment Vibration Testing
- EIA 364-28 Vibration Testing of Electrical Connectors and Sockets
- EN 61373 Vibration of Railway Equipment
- IEC 60068-2-6 Vibration Testing
- IEC 60068-2-64 Random Vibration Testing
- IEC 60255-21-1 Vibration, Shock, Bump & Seismic
- MIL-STD-167 Mechanical Vibrations of Shipboard Equipment
- MIL-STD-202 Testing Method 201 Vibration Testing
- MIL-STD-202 Testing Method 204 High Frequency Vibration Testing
- MIL-STD-202 Testing Method 214 Random Vibration Testing
- MIL-STD-810 Testing Method 514 Vibration Testing
- MIL-STD-810 Testing Method 528 Mechanical Vibrations Testing of Shipboard Equipment
- MIL-STD-810 Vibration Characterization Testing