Thermal Shock Testing
Temperature Shock Testing Capabilities at Keystone Compliance
Keystone Compliance has a variety of automated air-to-air thermal shock chambers. Most chambers have a working temperature range of -70C to +180C and can transition between temperature extremes within a few seconds. These chambers can accommodate smaller test items. Large items can be tested by using walk-in chambers. Keystone Compliance also has experience performing liquid-to-liquid and air-to-liquid thermal shock testing, as well as custom profiles at temperatures of excess of a few hundred degrees centigrade and cryogenic temperatures. Please contact us to discuss how we can assist you with your thermal shock testing needs..
Temperature Shock Test Overview
Thermal shock testing, per MIL-STD 810 Method 503, is conducted to determine if equipment can withstand sudden changes in the temperature of the surrounding atmosphere without experiencing physical damage or deterioration in performance. As a result of exposure to sudden temperature changes, operation of the temperature shock test items may be affected either temporarily or permanently.
Temperature shock testing has two objectives; 1) to determine if the test item can satisfy its performance requirements after exposure to sudden changes in temperature of the surrounding atmosphere and 2) to determine if the thermal shock test item can be safely operate following exposure to the sudden change in temperature of the surrounding atmosphere.
Examples of problems that could occur as a result of exposure to sudden changes in temperature include but are not limited to:
- Shattering of glass, vials and optical equipment
- Binding or slackening of moving parts
- Separation of constituents
- Changes in electronic components
- Electronic or mechanical failures due to rapid water or frost formation
- Cracking of solid pellets or grains in explosives
- Differential contraction or expansion of dissimilar materials
- Deformation or fracture of components
- Cracking of surface coatings
- Leaking of sealed compartments
Expert Thermal Shock Regulatory Compliance Testing
Thermal shock testing is just one of the climatics testing services we offer and our lab is fully equipped with the necessary equipment. Have a question about thermal shock and temperature laboratory testing? Contact us or call (724) 657-9940 and we will determine the best course of action.
Request a quote today to discuss how we can help you achieve your thermal shock testing requirements.
Thermal Shock Specifications
- EIA-364-32 Thermal Shock and Temperature Cycling
- IEC 60068-2-14 Temperature Testing
- MIL-STD 202 Method 107 Thermal Shock Test
- MIL-STD 750 Method 1056 Thermal Shock (liquid to liquid)
- MIL-STD 750 Method 1051 Shock
- MIL-STD-883 Method 1011 Thermal Shock Test