ISTA Test Procedure 1A covers testing of individually packaged products weighing 150 lb (68 kg) or less when prepared for shipment. The test procedure consists of both vibration and shock, with the vibration test being fixed displacement. The shock test consists of drop, incline impact and horizontal impact.
ISTA 1A provides the following suggestions:
- To use random vibration instead of fixed displacement vibration, use ISTA Test Procedure 1G and not 1A.
- For packaged-products where a minimum compression value should be tested, use ISTA 1C.
- For packaged-products intended for international distribution, consider ISTA Partial-Simulation Performance Test Procedure 2A.
- For packaged-products that may be transported in a small parcel delivery system, consider ISTA 3A.
The test sequence protocol for ISTA-1A includes the following:
- Test Block 1: ISTA 1A Atmospheric Preconditioning.
- Test Block 2: ISTA 1A Vibration – Fixed Displacement.
- Test Block 3: ISTA 1A Shock – Drop, Inclined Impact and Horizontal Impact. With ISTA 1A test drop height may vary per package.
The chart below is from the standard and provides more guidance on the testing procedure and requirements for package validation:
|Sequence #||Test Category||Test Type||Test Level||For ISTA Certification|
|1||Atmospheric Preconditioning||Temperature and Humidity||Ambient||Required|
|2||Vibration||Fixed Displacement||1in (25mm) peak-to-peak at a frequency to be determined||Required|
|3||Shock (alternative methods allowed – select one test type)||Drop||Height varies with packaged-product weight||Required|
|Inclined Impact (Conbur)||Impact velocity varies with packaged-product weight|
|Horizontal Impact||Impact velocity varies with packaged-product weight|
As an e-commerce package testing and ISTA-certified package lab, Keystone Compliance can meet your package testing needs, including ISTA 1A. By providing quick turnarounds, competitive pricing and engineering assistance, Keystone Compliance has become a leader in the package test lab industry. Receiving a quote to complete ISTA-1A testing is as easy as completing our online quote form or calling us at (724) 657-9940.