ASTM D4169 Performance Package Testing
ASTM D4169 evaluates the ability of a shipping unit to withstand distribution. As an ISTA and ISO 17025 certified lab, we realize the importance of ASTM D4169 testing. Meeting the ASTM D4169 performance testing requirements can be difficult. We understand the challenges and guide companies through the process.
Keystone takes a consultative approach throughout the entire test program. We create an accurate test plan to eliminate expensive over-testing. Keystone Compliance partners with customers to achieve package compliance. Our accurate test reports are delivered quickly.
Standard Practice for Performance Testing of Shipping Containers and Systems
ASTM D4169 integrity compliance testing evaluates, in a laboratory, the ability of shipping units to withstand the distribution environment. The ASTM D4169 test sequence plan subjects the package to anticipated hazard elements in various distribution cycles, including the ASTM D4169 drop test.
The ASTM D4169 test program is not intended to replace material specifications or existing pre-shipment test procedures.
An ASTM D4169 test lab such as Keystone Compliance provides a guide for the evaluation of shipping units in accordance with a uniform system, using established test methods at levels representative of those occurring in actual distribution. The recommended test levels are based on available information on the shipping and handling environment, and current industry/government practice and experience.
The ASTM D4169 protocol tests packages sequentially in the same containers listed in the order given. For use as a performance test, this practice requires that the shipping unit tested remain unopened until the sequence of tests are completed.
If used for other purposes, such as package development, it may be useful to open and inspect shipping units at various times throughout the sequence. This may, however, prohibit evaluating the influence of the container closure on container performance and package validation.
ASTM D4169 Regulatory Compliance Testing Procedures
ASTM D4169 provides 11 steps when conducting the standard test method.
- Define Shipping Unit – The weight, size, and form of construction must be defined. As well as whether the container will be manually or mechanically handled.
- Establish Assurance Level – Specify the level of intensity you wish to carryout during the test.
- Determine Acceptance Criteria – These are related to the desired condition of the product and package at the end of the transportation cycle.
- Select Distribution Cycle – Select a distribution/transportation cycle that most closely correlates with the projected distribution.
- Write Test Plan – Prepare a test plan. The test plan intensity details must take into account assurance levels selected as well as the physical description of the shipping unit.
- Select Samples for Test – These consist of representative samples of complete shipping units, including actual content.
- Condition Samples – Procedures are used if the distribution cycle contains climatic conditions that can effect performance characteristic of the product.
- Perform Tests – Perform the tests as directed in reference ASTM standards and as further modified in the special instructions of each test schedule.
- Evaluate Results – Evaluate results to determine if the shipping units meet the acceptance criteria provided in step 3.
- Document Test Results – Document the results by reporting each step.
- Monitor Shipments – Whenever possible, feedback must be obtained by monitoring shipments of the container that was tested.
Expert ASTM D4169 Package Testing
Keystone is accredited to complete testing to all revisions of the ASTM D4169 test standard. These include, but are not limited to the following:
- ASTM D4169 01
- ASTM D4169 05
- ASTM D4169 09
- ASTM D4169 14
- ASTM D4169 16
Keystone Compliance can meet your ASTM D4169 package testing needs. By providing quick turnarounds, competitive pricing and engineering assistance, Keystone Compliance has become a leader in the package test lab industry.
Receiving a quote to complete ASTM D4169 testing is as easy as completing our online quote form or calling us at (724) 657-9940.