ISTA 2B covers testing of individual packaged-products weighing more than 150 lb. (68 kg) when prepared for shipment. The one exception to ISTA 2B is individual packaged-products on a visible skid or pallet may be tested according to ISTA Non-Simulation Integrity Performance Test Procedure 1E or ISTA General Simulation Performance Test Procedure 3E.
ISTA-2B is a partial simulation tests for individual packaged products. It can be used to:
- Evaluate performance of a packaged product.
- Compare relative performance of package and product design alternatives.
- Evaluate packaged-products intended for international distribution.
It is important to note that the package and product are considered together and not separately. Also, some conditions of transit, such as moisture, pressure or unusual handling may not be covered.
The ISTA 2B test blocks that follow contain tables that indicate the required steps for each test in the procedure.
- Atmospheric Conditioning-Temperature and Humidity.
- Vibration First Sequence (Fixed Displacement) – Vibration-Fixed Displacement.
- Vibration First Sequence (Random) –Vibration-Random.
- Shock (Impact)-Shock-Impact.
- Shock (Rotational Edge Drop)-Shock-Rotational Edge Drop.
- Vibration Second Sequence (Fixed Displacement)-Vibration-Fixed Displacement.
- Vibration Second Sequence (Random)-Vibration-Random.
The chart below is from the standard and provides more guidance on the ISTA 2B testing procedure and requirements for package validation:
|Sequence #||Test Category||Test Type||For ISTA Certification|
|1||Atmospheric Preconditioning||Temperature and Humidity||Required|
|2||Atmospheric conditioning||Controlled Temperature and Humidity||Required|
|3||Compression||Machine Apply and Release/Machine Apply and Hold/Weight and Load Spreader||Required|
|4||Vibration (alternative methods allowed-select one test type)||Fixed Displacement/Random||Required|
|5||Shock (alternative methods allowed-select one test type)||Drop/Incline Impact (conbur)/Horizontal Impact||Required|
|6||Shock||Rotational Edge Drop||Required when not testing face 1|
|7||Vibration (alternative methods allowed-select one test type)||Fixed Displacement/Random||Required|
As an e-commerce packaging and ISTA-certified testing lab, Keystone Compliance can meet your package testing needs, including ISTA 2B. By providing quick turnarounds, competitive pricing and engineering assistance, Keystone Compliance has become a leader in the package test lab industry. Receiving a quote to complete ISTA-2B testing is as easy as completing our online quote form or calling us at (724) 657-9940.