ASTM D642 Compressive Resistance Package Testing
ASTM D642 package testing determines the ability of containers to resist external compressive loads. As an ISTA and ISO 17025 certified lab, we realize the importance of ASTM D642 compressive resistance testing. Meeting the ASTM D642 requirements can be difficult. We understand the challenges and guide companies through the process.
Keystone’s proven process helps avoid product launch delays. We have a reputation of helping customers achieve their package certifications. When packages do not meet the requirements, we assist with finding solutions. Keystone creates an accurate and comprehensive test plan to eliminate expensive over-testing.
Summary of ASTM D642 Determining Compressive Resistance Testing
The scope of ASTM D642 shipping test is compression resistance. These compressive loads are applied to the containers faces, diagonally opposite edges or corners. The testing itself can be on the shipping container, components or both. During ASTM D642 package testing, the test unit may be tested with or without the contents.
The results of ASTM D642 testing can be used to determine one of two objectives. First, how well does the shipping container meet the requirements of the standard. Second, how well does one container perform when compared to the test results of another container.
Scope of ASTM D642 Shipping Container, Components and Unit Load Testing
The ability to withstand compression is an important attribute of packages. During transportation, it is common for packages and containers to be vertically stacked. The weight of the stacked units can degrade the ability of a container to effectively protect its content.
The ASTM D642 test procedures are recommended to test five replicate tests. This helps ensure the accuracy of the data to improve statistical reliability.
Depending on the contents, container and shipping method, conditioning can be used. The conditioning can occur before or during testing, or even both. Conditioning can include temperature, humidity, altitude or a combination of two of the three or all three.
Significance of Standard Test Method ASTM D642
The ASTM D642 test standard includes the following specific information about the test report and its required contents:
A statement indicating that the tests were performed in accordance with this test method, except where noted.
Container Structural and Physical Specifications:
- Inside dimensions should be specified for all corrugated and solid fiberboard containers.
- Description of the contents (products) of the container and gross weight of the filled container, as tested.
- Description and specification of materials, style of container, access holes, and double scores.
- Description and specifications for interior packaging, if used.
- Spacing, size, and type of fasteners and method of closure.
- Printing amount and location on container. Record caliper of printed and plain surfaces.
Detailed Results for Each Test Specimen:
- Pre- and post-test damage to the container and contents.
- Any tests performed on the test specimen prior to compression testing.
- A tabulation of individual maximum load and deformation results.
- Graph or table showing the load-deformation relationship for each test.
- Number of specimens tested.
- Mean and standard deviation calculations of all specimens tested.
Identification of Test Apparatus and Instrumentation Used, Including Manufacturer’s Names and Model Numbers.
- Type of test machine used, such as fixed or swiveled platen. Include details of any known modifications.
- Orientation in which the specimen was tested, such as platen speed and pre-load applied to the test specimen, if any.
- Date of last calibration of apparatus and recording instrumentation.
- Method, if any, of conditioning the container.
- The moisture content of the wood, plywood, or fiberboard, if determined.
- The results of any supplementary tests of the materials from which the container is made.
Expert ASTM D642 Compressive Resistance Testing
Keystone has a full lab of test equipment which permits us to provide short lead times on scheduling. Our team strives to give our customers more time and energy on product development instead of testing. We can accommodate flexible and rigid packages of all sizes, including large pallets.
Contact us to see firsthand why so many companies partner with Keystone Compliance to meet their transit testing needs.