RTCA DO-160 Section 12.0 Sand and Dust Testing
The RTCA DO-160 sand and dust test standard determines the resistance of the equipment to the effects of blowing sand and dust. The test involves the sand and dust being carried by air movement at moderate speeds. Sand and dust test labs investigate the effect these contaminants can have.
Sand and dust can wreak havoc on equipment. One of the adverse effects is the penetration of the particulates into cracks, crevices and bearings. The sand and dust can also clog moving parts like joints and relays. Filters can also become useless. Sand and dust can also form electrically conductive bridges. Other potential impacts include the contamination of fluids and corrosion. RTCA/DO-160G sand and dust testing is an essential test to safeguard against all of these events.
RTCA DO-160 Sand and Dust Test Equipment Categories:
The DO-160G Section 12 test standard specifies two categories of equipment.
Equipment Category D:
Equipment recommended for the dust test is identified as Category D. This equipment can be installed in locations where the equipment is subjected to blowing dust in the course of normal aircraft operations. Equipment meeting this description must go through RTCA-DO-160 dust testing.
Equipment Category S:
Equipment recommended for both the dust test and the sand test is identified as Category S. This equipment can be installed in locations where the equipment is subjected to blowing sand and dust in the course of normal aircraft operations. These locations include the cockpit or any other location not intentionally protected against sand and dust exposure. Equipment meeting this description must go through RTCA-DO-160 blowing sand testing.
The RTCA/DO-160G test lab will use both dust and sand particles that are specified in the standard. DO-160G specifies the concentration of the material, its size, weight and diameter. Other features such as the wind velocity, temperature, test duration and air flow direction are also detailed.
In addition to the RTCA DO-106G sand and dust tests, Keystone Compliance also offers other ingress protection testing. We are accredited to every IP Code. Our ingress protection lab capabilities in addition to dust include other solid objects and liquids. The liquids include dripping water, spraying water, water jets and immersion.
As an RTCA DO-160G accredited test lab, we have the resources to meet every sand and dust test need. In addition to being accredited to complete RTCA-DO-160G testing, Keystone is also accredited to all previous versions of the standard as well. Please contact us to see firsthand why so many manufacturers rely on Keystone Compliance to be their RTCA DO-160 test lab.
Looking for other testing to other sections of RTCA DO-160 testing? Click on the links below:
- RTCA DO-160 Section 4.0 Temperature and Altitude
- RTCA DO-160 Section 5.0 Temperature Variation
- RTCA DO-160 Section 6.0 Humidity
- RTCA DO-160 Section 7.0 Operational Shocks and Crash Safety
- RTCA DO-160 Section 8.0 Vibration
- RTCA DO-160 Section 9.0 Explosion Proofness
- RTCA DO-160 Section 10.0 Waterproofness
- RTCA DO-160 Section 11.0 Fluids Susceptibility
- RTCA DO-160 Section 12.0 Sand and Dust
- RTCA DO-160 Section 13.0 Fungus Resistance
- RTCA DO-160 Section 14.0 Salt Spray
- RTCA DO-160 Section 15.0 Magnetic Effect
- RTCA DO-160 Section 16.0 Power Input
- RTCA DO-160 Section 17.0 Voltage Spike
- RTCA DO-160 Section 18.0 Audio Frequency Conducted Susceptibility – Power Inputs
- RTCA DO-160 Section 19.0 Induced Signal Susceptibility
- RTCA DO-160 Section 20.0 Radio Frequency Susceptibility (Radiated and Conducted)
- RTCA DO-160 Section 21.0 Emission of Radio Frequency Energy
- RTCA DO-160 Section 22.0 Lightning Induced Transient Susceptibility
- RTCA DO-160 Section 23.0 Lightning Direct Effects
- RTCA DO-160 Section 24.0 Icing
- RTCA DO-160 Section 25.0 Electrostatic Discharge
- RTCA DO-160 Section 26.0 Fire, Flammability
Modifications from one Version of RTCA DO-160 to the Next:
Changes from DO-160C Sand and Dust Testing to DO-160D Sand and Dust Testing
Editorial and clarifications changes only.
Changes from DO-160D Sand and Dust Testing to DO-160E Sand and Dust Testing
Sand and dust were separated into two categories. Update the mixtures to current commercially available characteristics.
Changes from DO-160E Sand and Dust Testing to DO-160F Sand and Dust Testing
Category definitions were revised for clarification. Additional sand concentrations were added. Size distributions and sum of total percentages to 100% were adjusted in Section 12.3.2.
Changes from DO-160F Sand and Dust Testing to DO-160G Sand and Dust Testing
Change sand composition particle size to meet MIL STD 810G requirements.