IEC 60950 Information Technology Equipment EMC Compliance Testing
The IEC 60950 compliance test standard evaluates mains or battery-powered information technology equipment. This includes electrical business equipment and associated equipment with a rated voltage below 600 V. As a leader in EMC regulatory compliance testing, Keystone Compliance assists electronic equipment manufacturers with EMC testing. Meeting the IEC, EN, and other EMC testing requirements can be challenging. Not only do we understand the challenges, but we help guide companies through the process.
From concept through compliance, Keystone meets all of our customer’s needs under one roof. Request a quote to see why we are one of the fastest-growing compliance testing labs in the country.
Summary of IEC 60950 Information Technology Equipment Testing
The IEC 60950 EMC standard also applies to information technology equipment:
- Designed for use as telecommunication terminal equipment and telecommunication network infrastructure equipment.
- Designed and intended to be connected directly to, or used as infrastructure equipment in a cable distribution system.
- Designed to use the AC mains supply as a communication transmission medium.
The IEC 60950 standard specifies requirements intended to reduce risks of fire, electric shock, or injury for the operator. Whether the equipment consists of interconnected units or independent units, IEC 60950 is intended to reduce risks with respect to its installed equipment.
Examples of equipment include:
- Banking equipment
- Data and text processing machines and associated equipment
- Data network equipment
- Electrical and electronic retail equipment
- Electrical and electronic office machines
- Postage equipment
- Telecommunication network infrastructure equipment
Lastly, this standard does not apply to the following:
- Power supply systems that are not an integral part of the equipment, such as motor-generator sets, battery backup systems, and distribution transformers.
- Building installation wiring.
- Devices requiring no electric power.
IEC 60950 Information Technology Equipment Testing Conditions
Unless otherwise specified, the sample(s) under testing must be representative of the equipment the user receives. Unless specific conditions are stated, the tests are carried out in the most unfavorable conditions within the manufacturer’s operating specifications. This includes supply voltages, supply frequencies, and operating temperature.
When determining the most unfavorable voltages, the following is considered:
- Multiple rated voltages
- Tolerances on rated voltages
- Extremes of rated voltage ranges
When finding the most unfavorable frequencies for the power to energize the unit under testing, different rated frequencies within the rated frequency range are taken into account. Generally, consideration of the tolerance on a rated frequency is not necessary.
IEC 60950 temperature conditions must conform to the manufacturer’s least favorable ambient temperature operating range.
Expert IEC 60950 Regulatory Compliance Testing
Keystone Compliance can accommodate fixed, mobile and portable devices of all sizes. In addition to IEC 60950 testing, Keystone has a full scope of expertise including environmental and package testing such as ingress protection (IP Code), accelerated aging, and temperature. Lastly, we have a full lab of test equipment that permits us to provide short lead times on scheduling.