MIL- STD 202 Random Drop
This military drop test is used to determine the effects of random, repeated impact on component parts. These impacts are often due to handling, shipping, and other field service conditions. The dropping test is an accelerated test. It is a test designed to indicate structural and mechanical weaknesses of types not necessarily detected in random shock and random vibration tests.
During a life cycle materials are subjected to the stress that comes with transportation and use. This test is designed to determine the durability of these materials. This helps manufacturers identify potential warranty issues and performance issues so that they can produce the most durable product possible.
Keystone Compliance is a military drop lab with significant MIL-202 random drop lab testing experience. Our random drop testing lab is perfect for all your random drop compliance needs. We have a fully capable aerospace drop test lab. Our test engineers have an in-depth knowledge of drop test standards including MIL-202G random drop and MIL-202H random drop testing.
The following information is extremely technical in nature. It provides a summary of Method 203, as derived from the MIL-STD-202 random drop section. Even though the language is from MIL-STD 202G random drop, it applies previous versions of the standard. This includes military random drop standards like MIL-STD 202H random drop.
What Apparatus Ought to be Created in the Best Random Drop Lab?
All drop testing ought to be performed in a random drop laboratory with a certified drop testing machine. This machine ought to consist of an assembly of either two or four steel cages. There should be provisions for rotation about a common axis. Steel sleeves are used to mount the specimen.
Keystone Compliance is a drop test lab capable of testing products to the drop testing requirements of various test standards including those specified in Method 203 of MIL-STD 202. Our drop test machine is capable of precise drops from different drop heights at different angles and onto different surfaces. Our trustworthy experts are experienced and knowledgeable about the various aspects of drop testing including testing for all your aerospace products.
What is the Proper Procedure for Method 203?
The specimen must be rigidly mounted by the normal mounting means in the steel sleeve so. It must be mounted so that no part of the specimen, including terminals or external hardware of the component, extend beyond the sleeve. When necessary, a suitable adapter may be used within the sleeve.
End caps shall not be used on the sleeves. Through bolts may be employed as needed to mount the specimens in the sleeve. Only one sleeve shall be placed in each cage during the test. The number of specimens mounted in each sleeve shall be limited only by the available space.
Specimens shall be subjected to the drop test for a period of 45 minutes. The test is performed at a speed of four to six (4 – 6) revolutions per minute.
What Random Drop Laboratory Should You Trust for the Best Random Drop Testing?
Looking to get a random drop certification for your product? Contact Keystone Compliance today to work with an expert who understands the requirements of military and aerospace random drop testing standards. Keystone has a lab that functions to ensure optimal performance. Talk to our experts to develop a streamlined test plan and receive a professional and affordable quote.
As an expert in drop testing, Keystone Compliance has been recognized as one of the best compliance labs in the country. Our capabilities include testing to commercial and military standards. Drop testing is just one of the dynamics testing services we offer and our lab is fully equipped with the necessary equipment. Contact us to learn why so many manufacturers rely on Keystone Compliance’s testing services to meet all their compliance testing needs.
Looking for other MIL-STD-202 compliance tests? Click on a link below to learn more about the other test methods.
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 101 Salt Atmosphere (Corrosion)
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 103 Humidity (solid state)
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 104 Immersion
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 105 Barometric Pressure
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 106 Moisture Resistance
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 107 Thermal Shock
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 108 Life (at elevated ambient temperature)
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 109 Explosion
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 110 Sand and Dust
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 111 Flammability (external flame)
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 112 Seal
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 201 Vibration
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 203 Random Drop
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 204 Vibration, High Frequency
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 206 Life (rotational)
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 207 High-Impact Shock
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 208 Solderability
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 209 Radiographic Inspection
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 210 Resistance to Soldering Heat
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 211 Terminal Strength
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 212 Acceleration
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 213 Shock (specified pulse)
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 214 Random Vibration
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 215 Resistance to Solvents
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 216 Resistance to Solder Wave Heat
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 217 Particle Impact Noise Detection
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 301 Dielectric Withstanding Voltage
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 302 Insulation Resistance
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 303 DC Resistance
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 304 Resistance-Temperature Characteristic
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 305 Capacitance
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 306 Quality Factor
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 307 Contact Resistance
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 308 Current-Noise Test for Fixed Resistors
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 309 Voltage Coefficient of Resistance Determination Procedure
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 310 Contact-Chatter Monitoring
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 311 Life, Low Level Switching
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method 312 Intermediate Current Switching