IEC 61010 Spread of Fire
IEC 61010 protection against the spread of fire determines the product safety requirements of electrical equipment for laboratory use. As an IEC and product safety certified lab, we realize the importance of IEC protection against the spread of fire testing. Meeting IEC 61010-1 requirements can be difficult. We understand the challenges and guide companies through the process.
Keystone Compliance partners with customers to achieve product safety compliance. Additionally, we provide comprehensive reports shortly after the completion of the testing. When electrical and electronic devices do not meet the requirements, we assist with finding solutions. We are in constant communication throughout the test process.
Request a quote to receive testing services customized to your specific needs. Have a question about IEC 61010 product safety compliance laboratory testing. Contact us and we will determine the best course of action.
Summary of IEC 61010 Regulatory Compliance Testing
Under normal or single fault conditions, it is unacceptable to have the spread of fire outside of the equipment. During the compliance testing process, conformity is checked three different ways:
- Testing in single fault conditions that cause the spread of fire outside the equipment.
- Verifying removal or reduction of the sources of ignition in the equipment.
- Verifying that if a fire occurs it will be contained within the equipment.
The IEC 61010 standard test method describes a single fault condition as a condition in which one means for protection against a hazard is defective or one fault is present.
The test methods b) and c) are based on fulfilling specific design criteria. On the other hand, test method a) relies on testing in specified single fault conditions.
Scope of Product Safety Laboratory Testing
Eliminating Sources of Ignition – Ignition is considered reduced to a tolerable level if all three requirements are met.
- The voltage, current, and power are limited, or, if the insulation between parts meets specified requirements.
- Any ignition hazard related to flammable liquids is reduced to a tolerable level.
- In circuits designed to produce heat, no ignition occurs when tested in a single fault condition.
Containment of fire – The possibility of fire spreading outside the equipment may be considered reduced. However, this is only true if the equipment meets the following criteria.
- Energizing of the equipment is controlled by a switch that needs to be continuously held in the energized state.
- The equipment and enclosure conform to constructional requirements. These constructional requirements include connectors and insulating material having a flammability class of V-2, or better. Insulated wires and cables must retard flame propagation.
- The enclosure must have adequate rigidity. Also, the bottom and sides of the enclosure must:
- Have no openings.
- Be made of metal with specific perforations.
- Be a metal screen with mesh 2 mm x 2 mm.
- Have openings with baffles.
Overcurrent Protection – Equipment energized from a mains supply is protected by fuses, circuit-breakers, thermal cut-outs, etc. A minimum of basic insulation is required between mains-connected parts of opposite polarity on the supply side of the overcurrent protection device.
- Overcurrent protection devices are not fitted in the protective conductor. Fuses or single-pole circuit-breakers are not fitted in the neutral conductor of multi-phase equipment.
- Conformity is checked for compliance by inspection and measurement.
Expert IEC 61010 Regulation and Standard Lab Testing
Keystone has a full lab of test equipment which permits us to provide short lead times on scheduling. Our team strives to give our customers more time and energy on product development instead of testing. In addition to product safety testing and certifications, Keystone has a full scope of expertise including EMC/EMI, IP Code, and wireless testing.
Contact us to receive more information on product safety IEC standard conformance testing. Ready to get started? We are. Request a quote to see why so many companies work with us to achieve their product safety compliance testing needs.
For more information on IEC 61010 product safety compliance testing, please visit the links below: