IEC 60950-1 Testing
Information technology equipment – Safety – Part 1: General requirements
IEC 60950-1 Scope:
IEC 60950 1 testing is applicable to mains-powered or battery-powered information technology equipment, including electrical business equipment and associated equipment, with a rated voltage not exceeding 600 V.
EN 60950-1 is also applicable to such information technology equipment:
- Designed for use as telecommunication terminal equipment and telecommunication network infrastructure equipment, regardless of the source of power;
- Designed and intended to be connected directly to, or used as infrastructure equipment in, a cable distribution system, regardless of the source of power;
- Designed to use the AC mains supply as a communication transmission medium (see Clause 6, Note 4 and 7.1, Note 4).
IEC 60950-1 testing is also applicable to:
- Components and subassemblies intended for incorporation in information technology this equipment. It is not expected that Such components and subassemblies need not comply with every aspect requirement of the standard, provided that the complete information technology equipment, incorporating such components and subassemblies, does comply;
- External power supply units intended to supply other equipment within the Scope: of this part of IEC 60950;
- Accessories intended to be used with equipment within the Scope: of this part of IEC 60950.
NOTE 1: Examples of aspects with which uninstalled components, subassemblies and accessories may not comply include the marking of the power rating and access to hazardous parts.
NOTE 2: This standard may be applied to the electronic parts of equipment even if that equipment does not wholly fall within its Scope:, such as large-scale air conditioning systems, fire detection systems and fire extinguishing systems. Different requirements may be necessary for some applications.
IEC 60950-1 testing specifies requirements intended to reduce risks of fire, electric shock or injury for the operator and layman who may come into contact with the equipment and, where specifically stated, for a service person.
This standard is intended to reduce such risks with respect to installed equipment, whether it consists of a system of interconnected units or independent units, subject to installing, operating and maintaining the equipment in the manner prescribed by the manufacturer.
Examples of equipment that is in the scope of this standard are:
- Generic product type (Specific example of generic type)
- Banking equipment (monetary processing machines including automated teller / cash dispensing machines or ATM)
- Data and text processing machines and associated equipment (data preparation equipment, data processing equipment, data storage equipment, personal computers, plotters, printers, scanners, text processing equipment, visual display units)
- Data network equipment (bridges, data circuit terminating equipment, data terminal equipment, routers)
- Electrical and electronic retail equipment (cash registers, point of sale terminals including associated electronic scales)
- Electrical and electronic office machines (calculators, copying machines, dictation equipment, document shredding machines, duplicators, erasers, micrographic office equipment, motor-operated files, paper trimmers (punchers, cutting machines, separators), paper jogging machines, pencil sharpeners, staplers, typewriters
- Other information technology equipment (photoprinting equipment, public information terminals, multimedia equipment)
- Postage equipment (mail processing machines, postage machines)
- Telecommunication network infrastructure equipment (billing equipment, multiplexers, network powering equipment, network terminating equipment, radio base stations, repeaters, transmission equipment, telecommunication switching equipment)
- Telecommunication terminal equipment (facsimile equipment, key telephone systems, modems, PABXs, pagers, telephone answering machines, telephone sets (wired and wireless))
NOTE 3: The requirements of IEC 60065 may also be used to meet safety requirements for multimedia equipment.
Keystone Compliance assists manufacturers with IEC 60950-1 and EN 60950-1 test compliance. Please contact us for more information on how Keystone Compliance can assist you with identifying and fulfilling your IEC 60950-1 test lab needs.
IEC 60950-21 Remote power feeding
IEC 60950-22 Equipment to be installed outdoors
IEC 60950-23 Large data storage equipment